lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Latin-1 gettext translation does not work in UTF-8 mode

From: Adrian Bunk
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Latin-1 gettext translation does not work in UTF-8 mode
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 00:13:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 07:50:41PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > > "some sort of rectangle" sounds like a font issue (the UTF-8 fonts are
> > > missing a lot of glyphs, but if they're not installed, you'll see many
> > > more missing characters).
> >
> > It doesn't seem to be a font issue because the same characters are
> > displayed correctly when I look at German web pages. The solution is maybe
> > to upgrade gettext in lynx so that it uses iconv? (unfortunately I don't
> > have an autoconf version that works with lynx to test whether
> > gettext-0.10.40 fixes this problem).
>
> at the moment I can't factor out the different things (gettext/iconv).
>
> The UTF-8 part is the most suspect, since lynx is producing that itself.  If
> autoconf is the only issue (and if the newer gettext is dependent on autoconf

Let me try to explain it:
- The problem only seems to occur with the translated gettext messages.
- The new gettext does character set conversion using iconv (3).
- gettext doesn't need a more recent autoconf but I do only have unpatched
  autoconf-2.13 and autoconf-2.52 installed and none of them works with
  lynx...

cu
Adrian

--

Get my GPG key: finger address@hidden | gpg --import

Fingerprint: B29C E71E FE19 6755 5C8A  84D4 99FC EA98 4F12 B400