lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Latin-1 gettext translation does not work in UTF-8 mode

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Latin-1 gettext translation does not work in UTF-8 mode
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 14:09:05 -0400

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 07:50:41PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >
> > > Then the status line at the bottom has (when it's a long start page) a
> > > translated version of "press space for next page" but displays some kind
> > > of rectangle instead of the letters "ü" and "ä".
> >
> > "some sort of rectangle" sounds like a font issue (the UTF-8 fonts are
> > missing a lot of glyphs, but if they're not installed, you'll see many
> > more missing characters).
>
> It doesn't seem to be a font issue because the same characters are
> displayed correctly when I look at German web pages. The solution is maybe
> to upgrade gettext in lynx so that it uses iconv? (unfortunately I don't
> have an autoconf version that works with lynx to test whether
> gettext-0.10.40 fixes this problem).

at the moment I can't factor out the different things (gettext/iconv).

The UTF-8 part is the most suspect, since lynx is producing that itself.  If
autoconf is the only issue (and if the newer gettext is dependent on autoconf
2.5x), I may look at updating my patch (but don't need the distraction if it's
not necessary).  I did that for 2.50, but immediately ran into the other
newly-added bugs of 2.50, note that about half of those were announced as fixed
in 2.51, etc.

For UTF-8, I have a couple of suitable test-platforms:  Slackware 8.0, which
would rely on iconv, and Mandrake 8.1 which does not.  But the latter isn't as
robust:  about 1/4 of the time when I shutdown, it hangs and I have to power
off my machine.  (I don't leave it running, since I have several systems on the
same machine).  So I'm not much inclined to develop on Mandrake 8.1 (it's still
better than the Redhat 7.2 beta, which I'll delete), but can test there after
I have something that works.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net