lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx bug in interaction with ebay.com?

From: Morten Bo Johansen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx bug in interaction with ebay.com?
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 15:11:06 +0200

Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:

> it'll take some analysis to see what we have to work around
> (perhaps by then ebay will fix their webpages - unlikely since
> it's M$ IIS ;-).

To make webmasters fix their pages to work with Lynx just makes
you heave a big sigh doesn't it..

> I just tried links 0.96 - it didn't work (clicking on the results of the
> search gave me something that looks like a source-view of the page).

You are right actually, but it does strip the space and you can
render it by using '\' - but of course this behaviour is also
wrong albeit a little better than Lynx'.

> > Lynx either inserts or does not strip a space between the

> probably the latter (a trace shows that lynx reads it that way).

The poster wrote to me and suggested that Lynx had changed its
behaviour somewhere in the later development versions since the
ebay pages had always worked for him with Lynx previously and
so to check his assertion I installed version 2.8.3 (I really
love those encaps) and tried again and lo and behold - it
works!

So it is a "bug" (or removed fault tolerance ) which has been
introduced into Lynx since version 2.8.3.

Hope this narrows down the problem somewhat.

Regards,

Morten

--
Room service?  Send up a larger room. (Groucho Marx)