lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev MacLynx

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev MacLynx
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:44:47 -0400

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 05:16:15PM +0000, Doug Wilson wrote:
> 010819 Philip Webb wrote:
>
> >010819 Doug Wilson wrote:
> >> I recently downloaded MacLynx b1 - (Lynx 2.7.1 port)
> >
> >no-one has been supporting the Mac port for a long time.
>
> re: Mac port
>
> What is the "Mac port" number?
> According to a Glossary I found on my ycn server:
>
> Port:     Every Internet application communicates at an assigned port

different sense of "port".  A port in the sense PW referred to is the process
of adapting a program to run on a given platform, e.g., MacIntosh.

> If "current key-bindings can be altered in lynx.cfg" does this mean that
> lynx.cfg is really the Lynx Browser software program instead of the
> Lynx/Beta 1/index.html file?

no - lynx.cfg is a configuration file read by the program.

> And if I do alter the lynx.cfg file am I changing the version of Lynx that
> I have or just a setting? I believe that Lynx software is "open source?"

...just a setting.

(Lynx is GPL'd which is not really the same as "open source", since the
latter includes a lot of stuff that isn't GPL'd)

> which I believe means that the software source code is available and
> changeable. If so, does this mean if I know what I am doing I can/should
> customize the lynx.cfg file?
>
> For example, when I open MacLynx, the "TextScape" window opens to a certain
> size, I believe it is 35 lines high by 80 columns wide. I can resize this
> with a mouse but I need to do that every time I open MacLynx.  It says in
> my lynx.cfg file:
>
> # MacOS ONLY:
> #==========
> # You can set initial size for Lynx window.
> TERM_LINES:35
> TERM_COLS:80
>
> Can I change 80 columns to say 120? and if so, How do I change that?

it's probably related to the terminal emulator (it sounds as if the person
who ported Lynx to Mac could not find a good way to determine what the
screensize is).

> re: Lynx vs MacLynx
>
> >you can get basic training from my document `Lynx Help for Beginners'
> >at  www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/lhfb.html .
> Thanks for the referral. I still have a bit more studying to do.
>
> Initially I tried searching the Lynx-Dev Archives but found them stored
> sequentially by month. Since then, I found I can search by topic so I will
> try to review Lynx-Dev Archive postings related to MacLynx.
>
> >you can access a lot more Lynx info via  lynx.browser.org/
> Yes but I find I still need to differentiate between current version Lynx
> vs MacLynx info.
>
> >& get the most recent version for Linux/Windows from  lynx.isc.org/current/ .
> Not much good as I don't think a Windows version of Lynx will run on my
> Macintosh??

the source code could be ported to Mac (with some work).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com