lynx-dev

Re: MacOSX (was "Re: lynx-dev ASCII approximations")

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: MacOSX (was "Re: lynx-dev ASCII approximations")
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 16:23:17 -0400

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 12:24:06PM -0700, Matt Ackeret wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> >On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 11:51:59PM -0700, Patrick wrote:
> >> Actually, with the release of MacOSX porting might be a lot easier
> >> than it was.  OSX is apparently built over a Berkley UNIX base.
> >> [I'm guessing a BSD kernel with the Mac GUI for a shell.]  In fact,
> >> if some sort of terminal program is supplied, there may be very
> >> little work required to make Lynx run here.
> >
> >It's BSD with a filesystem that ignores the case of filenames.  That's
>
> That is not exactly accurate.
>
> The default filesystem for Mac OS X local volumes is HFS+, which indeed
> is case insensitive.
>
> However, you can also use UFS and NFS and probably a lot of others that
> I don't know about.

yes (I understood that).

> >not a problem.  Some people have made ncurses build on OS X, iirc finding
> >a problem with the C preprocessor.
>
> The default compiler is gcc..

This is what I was told:

        >From what I understand, Apple's compiler uses a special cpp to handle
        it's Objective C syntax and precompiled headers, which unfortunately
        doesn't support GNU extensions.  Apple's cpp is on by default but can be
        switched to GNU's standard cpp via the -traditional-cpp flag.  So it's
        not really any kind of ncurses bug or a problem with Darwin's header
        files as much as it is with Apple's compiler.

(the person reporting the bug wanted to add the -traditional flag to gcc,
which is adding a bug to attempt to cancel another).

> Hmm, the lynx we have compiled here in a public directory (i.e. not installed
> with the system) is 2.7, compiled in Jul 2000.  I've also compiled links and
> pine and a bunch of other cool UNIX stuff on OSX.

2.7 came out in April 1997 (2.8.2 was released in April 2000).

I believe the first version of links came out in 1999.  There's no change log
that merits the name however.  The manpage says December 2000, but it also says
it uses ncurses, which indicates that the person who wrote it doesn't know the
code ;-).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com