lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Download indicator hogs my bandwidth

From: Pat Traynor
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Download indicator hogs my bandwidth
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:31:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Pat Traynor wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Mike Castle wrote:
> >
> > > Perhaps if the Pat ran lynx under script, and obtained some numbers there,
> > > we could attack the issue from that view point.
> >
> > This morning, I ran Lynx without my patch, but it's not the latest
> > version.  It's version 2.8rel.2.  I went to my news server and
> > downloaded a 90-meg file.  The download took about 15 minutes and
> > created a 600k typescript file.  I've zipped it and put it here:
>
> how long would the download take with the patch?
> (if you're downloading 90Mb in 15 minutes, that's certainly not
> a 14.4kb line).

I think you misunderstood a couple things.  I have a normal 28.8
modem, but the lousy phone lines on my street limit me to 24k or 26.4k.
Not 14.4k.  Also, I'm telnetted in to my Linux box and running Lynx on it.
My telnet session (actually ssh) is 24k, but my Linux box's connection
to the net is via T1 lines.  The data gets downloaded from some remote
site to my Linux box.

--pat--
--
Pat Traynor