lynx-dev

lynx-dev Download indicator hogs my bandwidth

From: Pat Traynor
Subject: lynx-dev Download indicator hogs my bandwidth
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:26:56 -0400 (EDT)

(I tried to send this before as a non-subscriber, but I don't think it
went through.  If it *did* please forgive me - I didn't see it show up
in the July archive.)

The connection from my house to the internet is awful - I rarely exceed
24kbps.  But I have a Linux server co-hosted at my ISP, which of course
has a great connection.  So if I have to download anything exceptionally
large, I'll get onto the Linux box and use Lynx.  Then I'll take a drive
to the ISP with a handful of Zip disks.

This works great, except that while downloading a file, Lynx clicks off
the number of bytes being downloaded via my telnet session.  It does
this at such a high rate of speed that it's using up a considerable
amount of my 24kbps bandwidth.

Is there a way to either suppress this counting, or (even better),
increase the increments to something higher?  Perhaps it could click off
every 64k or something.

Thanks for any help.

--pat--
--