lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Is this List for Lynx users or *just* developers

From: Duke Normandin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Is this List for Lynx users or *just* developers
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 21:02:12 -0600

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 05:28:38PM -0700, Matt Ackeret wrote:

> >> Lynx is one of the few browsers that handles this properly!!
> >> The right way of doing this is to use link elements.  That way the browser
> >> produces a consistent layout (even if it isn't the layout you wanted.
> >
> >The right way?? I don't think so, bud! The right way, is the way _I_ want
> >the content to be displayed!
>
> While I think I see where you're coming from, isn't this getting awfully
> close to the "make web sites like page layout programs rather than
> browser independent"?

I see your (and other's) point as well!! I suppose the real issue is that
I hate being told that such and such a way of doing things is "the
correct way" based simply on Lynx's lack of 'complete' support for basic
and widely used HTML tags. I may be wrong in wanting to use <table> to
print a row cell on the left of the screen, and another on the right -
but that's what _I_ want as default. Like someone else said on the list,
users with the appropriate browser have the wherewithal to change the
layout and colors to suit themselves. Fair enough!!

> I realize that's ironic since it's great that you are doing extra work to
> make your sites work with a bunch of text-based browsers.

A _lot_ of extra work -- to make it work with all text-based AND
graphical browsers --- AND have it look like something other than a
bloody newsletter. ;) With Links and w3m, that isn't a problem -- with
Lynx its a PITA.

BTW, I finally settled on <pre> to render what I want as default. Looks
OK in all of the browsers.

Thanks to you and everyone for their input, opinions and comments. Let's
put this issue to bed. Anyway, I did manage to get the adrenalin on list
up for a bit ;^)
--
-duke
Calgary, Alberta, Canada