lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx 2.8.4dev.21

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx 2.8.4dev.21
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 23:43:02 +0500 (SAMST)

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> >
> >  Hi,
> >
> > > 2001-06-02 (2.8.4dev.21)
> > [changelog skipped]
> >
> >  Thomas, thank you very much for a great amount of efforts you've put in
> > dev21!
> >
> >  Have you considered my propsal (and patch) to not trim trailing whitespaces
> > in the input fields when sending their content?
>
> I did consider it, but only as an option - and it seemed to make sense
> only in the options-menu, but looked out of place there because there
> weren't similar options to group it with.  So I put it off (still on my
> list, but not for 2.8.4).

 I still think that this modified logic should be enabled unconditionally -
and that the current lynx's behaviour is broken. I don't know of any browser
that behaves similary to lynx wrt trailing whitespaces. I wonder why nobody
complained about it before (I would call current lynx's behaviour
Microsoftish). With current behaviour, noone can send text with trailing
spaces (because somebody decided that noone needs to have spaces at the end of
text inputs)! If current behaviour is fixed, one of course can send text with
trailing spaces by manually adding them of course. The only reason to enable
old behaviour is in order not to fix existing broken CGIs that are written
with only lynx in mind.

 It would be nice to check whether lynx strips trailing empty lines in
textareas too.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad