lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: How to install (was: lynx)

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: How to install (was: lynx)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 17:07:02 -0400

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 10:47:39AM -0500, kyle williams wrote:
> I got the Win32 zip file, which contains a Lynx executable. I read the
> installation and I got so confused. Can you help me out?

> From: Webmaster Jim
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 10:36:45PM -0500, kyle williams wrote:
> > I downloaded lynx2-8-4, how do I install it?
> What did you download, source code, or an executable? Where did you get
> it (so I can better answer how to use it)? What type of OS do you want
> to use it on?

OK, the README file is available on http://jim.spath.com/lynx_win32/readme.txt.

Here's some comments that may help you decipher that document:

*) The lynx.exe file needs to be unzipped somewhere. We don't have a
fancy installer (guess you noticed).

*) There are a minimum number of other pieces that need to be there for
the exeutable to work. We generally tell people to create a batch file
with settings for "term", "home", "temp" and "lynx_cfg". I think the
only one you need for certain is the lynx_cfg file. There is a copy of
it in the zip file. You can customize it if you like, but it works out
of the box. I typically only change the STARTFILE, which is the page
Lynx goes to first.

*) If you're behind a firewall, or not typically on a network when you
start Lynx, you can specify a local file to begin Lynx. If the page is
not accessible, then Lynx won't run.

For more help, send your requests to address@hidden You can subscribe
also, to make your submissions go through faster and more reliably.

------
<http://www.cs.indiana.edu/picons/db/users/net/bcpl/jspath/face.xbm>
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
But I'm quite used to being humiliated;
I can even go and stick my head in a bucket of water if you want...