lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 08:07:12 -0500

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 07:51:08AM -0500, ANTHONY CAMPIERE wrote:

>     On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 17:08 PM,   THOMAS DICKEY wrote:
>
> yes.  The problem is that when you download a binary from the net ( using a
> UNIX ftp client), it usually doesn't conform to VMS's file format, which is
> fixed-length, 512 byte records.  There's a program (named MFTU) which can be
> used to convert it, but I've found it simpler to just compile the sources
> for unzip (there are after all only two directories to get).
>
>    Can you or anyone explain what you mean by "compile the sources for
> unzip" ?

I'd ftp (text!) the sources for the main directory of unzip, and the sources
for the vms subdirectory, copy the latter into the main directory (that may
not be necessary, but often is).  Read the README file and make the program.

Since everything else that you download for VMS is in a zip file, that's the
only one you need to hand-build.

>   He also went on to say :
>
>    Your FTP client may have, in addition to ascii and binary modes, an
> "image" mode - if so, you should download VMS files using that from
> ftp.wku.edu  and bypass the whole issue.
>
>     Does this mean that there is an FTP Client on ftp.wku.edu that we can
> download and that has an 'Image" mode?   If so, can you tell me in which
> directory it is located?  There are a lot of directories on this site.

no - I think it's Compaq/DEC's client.  I happened to notice this on a system
that I've done some recent work.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com