lynx-dev

lynx-dev "~"/tilde bug?

From: Fiber McGee
Subject: lynx-dev "~"/tilde bug?
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 19:09:28 -0500

The message below from Rick Dyson
<address@hidden> was forwarded
by the list moderator.

Environment:
    $ Lynx -version
    Lynx Version 2.8.3rel.1 (23 Apr 2000)

    Copyrights held by the University of Kansas, CERN, and other
    contributors.
    Distributed under the GNU General Public License.
    See http://lynx.browser.org/ and the online help for more information.

    OpenVMS platform (note this problem has been reported to me with lots
    of versions of Lynx back to v2.7.x and I have confirmed it on Unix
    platforms too.

Greetings!

    I have found that if a URL includes a tilde "~" character in some
specific URLs (I have not tested for all combinations) the download does
not take place.  The following error is presented on the display:

Alert!: Unable to access document.

    This is easily repeatable.

    For example, this FTP protocol example always fails:

$ lynx ftp://www-pi.physics.uiowa.edu/~dyson/gd-1_8_1-vms.zip
Can't Access `ftp://www-pi.physics.uiowa.edu/~dyson/gd-1_8_1-vms.zip'
Alert!: Unable to access document.

    I suspect the code assumes the "~username" is invalid syntax and
either drops the "~" or just quits before attempting to get the file
from the remote FTP server.  This is a perfectly valid and functional URL
that should be allowable.

Regards,
Rick
--