lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.9

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.9
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 13:29:52 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, Thomas E. Dickey said:

> Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 10:42:37 -0400 (EDT)
>
> > Hmmm.  Even when I omit the %s, I get a copy of the document in $TMPDIR.
> > I'd expect Lynx to pipe directly into the viewer and not create any
> > disk image of the document.
>
> no - I realize that, but at the point where the command is being
> built, it already has the temporary file constructed, so I didn't
> implement something in the C code for making a pipe (it would have
> been redundant).  It's ifdef'd for UNIX because the code references
> 'cat', but that could be ported to DOS or Win32 w/o much problem.

I see in Lynx.trace:

    cat /tmp/pg-volatile/L4179-8025TMP.gif|( set -x; ls -alrt $TMPDIR; xv - &
sleep 22 ) 2>&1

And it was a fortunate accident that I put the parentheses around my
.mailcap line trying to understand what was happening.  Otherwise
the "cat" would have piped into "set" rather than into "xv".
perhaps Lynx should supply the parentheses.  I believe the syntax
is the same for both csh and POSIX shell.

As long as it's ifdef'd for UNIX, redirection would suffice and be
one fork cheaper than piping.

-- gil
--
StorageTek