lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev imagemap coordinates

From: Mike Castle
Subject: Re: lynx-dev imagemap coordinates
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:37:35 -0500

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 08:15:47PM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> Should lynx send coordinates?

>From HTML.c

    case HTML_IMG:                      /* Images */
        /*
         *  If we're in an anchor, get the destination, and if it's a
         *  clickable image for the current anchor, set our flags for
         *  faking a 0,0 coordinate pair, which typically returns the
         *  image's default. - FM
         */

Similar comments exist in GridText.c

And from the user's guide:

   HTML includes markup, designed primarily for graphic clients, that
   treats inlined images as maps, such that areas of the image within
   which a mouse cursor was positioned when the mouse was clicked can
   correspond to URLs which should be retrieved. The original
   implementations were based on the client sending an http server the
   x,y coordinates associated with the click, for handling by a script
   invoked by the server, and have been termed server-side-image-maps.
   Lynx has no rational way of coping with such a procedure, and thus
   simply sends a 0,0 coordinate pair, which some server scripts treat as
   an instruction to return a document suitable for a text client.

I belive there is a way to also specify which coordinates to send (probably
editting the URL and doing something like ?x,y).  Though I couldn't quickly
find that information, and may be mistaken about said capability.

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  address@hidden  and be right all the time, or not work at all