lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Revised patch for HTFTP.c

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Revised patch for HTFTP.c
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:48:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Doug Kaufman wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Mike Castle wrote:
>
> > If I am placing a text file on a Unix server, then I should place that file
> > on the server in Unix format.  That is, LF only.  If I do this via ftp,
> > In short, I make sure that a text file is on a server in the servers native
> > format.

Very good summary.

> > Anything else is broken, and I should not expect any client application to
> > fix my stupidity.
>
> Where is it required that text files on a server match the server's
> native format?

It is required if any of the applications that read the file make the
assumption that the file is in native format and don't work correctly
otherwise.  The ftp server program seems to be one such program in this
case.

I also saw the CR CR LF line endings when the test file was transmitted,
using tcpdump.  Transmitting text line ends as CR CR LF in ASCII mode is a
violation of the FTP protocol, which says that line ends are transmitted
on the wire as CR LF.  The responsibility for this is on the server side.

  Klaus