lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LINK is NOT ancient

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LINK is NOT ancient
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 11:36:57 +0100 (BST)

> LINK helps define the relationship between the HTML document and other
> media. It is used today for stylesheets and a "contact the author" link.

It's certainly not deprecated, although largely ignored by the big 2 unless
it suits them.

However as everyone knows, the page author should be specified with META
(a big 2 invention) in a way that doesn't allow one to email them :-(.
REV=MADE has dropped out of the official specifications because of
this failure of anything but Lynx to implement it.  I suspect a lot
more META items would be more in the spirit of HTML if done as LINK,
but I suspect that MS just dumped out the typical Word document meta
data in a non hypertext aware way, because the parent data was free
text.

IE does use LINK for one way of specifying an icon for favourites, but
violates the semantic rules by using two words in a space separated list.

html2ps, and I think amaya, use it to order the printing of multipart
documents, and the W3C accessibility guidelines advise its use for this
and in the hope that some browsers will provide next and previous type
navigation aids.