lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev curses in Caldera

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev curses in Caldera
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 18:39:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, A. R. Vener wrote:

> I'm trying to build a copy of lynx with SSL. I've
> installed openssl and retrieved the latest (lynx-cur.tgz)
> distribution and ssl patch file.  Applying the patches went
> successfuly.
>
> Next I tried running ./configure from the lynx root directory.
> Configure failed due to a missing curses.h file.  I looked in my
> system for libcurses (e.g. locate libcurses)  and didn't find any.
> Then I looked for curses and found several versions of libncurses.
>
> Finally I searched for a curses.h file    but was unsuccessful.
>
> Can I simply grab this file off another system somewhere with the hope
> it will work with my libncurses library?

I am certainly not the most expert person here in regard to curses
versions, but your note suggests that perhaps you didn't follow all
the instructions in the file "INSTALLATION". It has step-by-step
instructions for building lynx, including how to run configure. In
general, configure is not run without arguments. For example, in your
case you may need "--with-screen=ncurses". Before building lynx, you
should make sure that your have current libraries for either ncurses
or slang, and also preferably have zlib. Read INSTALLATION carefully
and choose the options that you want. Make sure that configure can
find any headers or libraries that you have in unusual locations. I
usually run configure from a shell script in order to avoid typing
errors for the configure arguments. A sample script for running
configure follows. The latest ncurses can generally be obtained from
Tom Dickey's site and the latest slang from John Davis's site.
"http://dickey.his.com/ncurses/ncurses.html";
"http://space.mit.edu/%7Edavis/slang.html";

Sample script:

#!/bin/sh
CPPFLAGS=-I/path_to_unusual_location/include \
LIBS=-L/path_to_unusual_location/lib \
./configure --prefix=/path_for_private_lynx_installation \
--libdir=/path_for_lynx_cfg \
--disable-dired-override \
--enable-addrlist-page \
--enable-externs \