lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: message catalog files (was: da.po file)

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: message catalog files (was: da.po file)
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 21:44:46 -0400

Tomorrow at 10:27:32AM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > > Yes, the stubs are probably cut-and-paste junk from several years of
> > > hacking on translation files and fairly worthless. They serve as a
> > > reminder of things-to-do...
> What things to do?

Besides serving as placeholders for missing translations (e.g.,
Spanish), the po files are used by configure to create the proper
makefile structure (see line after "dnl Set of available languages
(based on source distribution)" in configure.in). If the placeholder
wasn't there, and you just copied a full po file there after running
configure, then the message file would not get built or installed. IIRC,
this configure step was done so we would not have to hard code the
languages into the makefiles anywhere (but we do need to remember the
placeholder files ;-).

(Tom: configure.in still says 2.8.3, as do lynx.hlp and lynx.man)

> Just a shot in the dark, and maybe Morten will help by clarifying
> this, but just why are there two Danish translations? Wouldn't someone
> look at those stubs and likely think the translations weren't done or
> completed? Did Morten know there was a translation already, but didn't
> like it and wanted to make a better one, or did he not know about the
> previous one?

See other thread...

(OK, I'm going back in the woodwork -- after a little hacking on Win32
Lynx)

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
I ache therefore I am.  Or in my case, I am therefore I ache.