lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev hidden links

From: Eduardo Chappa L.
Subject: Re: lynx-dev hidden links
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:21:26 -0700 (PDT)

*** Philip Webb (address@hidden) wrote in the Lynx list on Jun...:

:) further thoughts:
:) what is the criterion for Lynx to treat a link as hidden?
:) what was the rationale for introducing this feature into Lynx?
:) does it still have any usefulness a/a `merging' all such links?
:) shouldn't there be an item in  lynx.cfg  or Options to handle these cases?
:)
:) it does work as KW suggests (of course, smile),
:) but ONLY if you  g  to the link number:
:) you can't use arrow keys to navigate to the link.
:) Lynx could very easily create a dummy link name for these cases.

Hidden links exist in many pages, they do not have text in order for you
to "click on". Sometimes these links are visible in other browser, e.g. a
link that can be followed clicking on an image that does not have an ALT
attribute qualifies as a hidden link (take a look at http://cnn.com for a
bunch of them). My web page below has a hidden link for personal reasons.
If you press "L" in a web page you'll see the list of visible and hidden
links (if any). What I would like to see is that Lynx warned you about
their existence, either by a message in the bottom of the screen upon
opening the page or some kind of sign (say a + sign in the top left
corner) in the display of a page that has hidden links.

  What I would most like to see is that hidden links that are the result
of an image without ALT text be warned somehow in the display of the page
in the position where they should be.

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/personal.html