lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG

From: Hataguchi Takeshi
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 12:48:43 +0900 (JST)

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:

> So, here is a concrete proposal, in the form of a draft for a lynx.cfg
> option.  (If deemed necessary, equivalent userdefs.h and/or command line
> options could also be provided.  But not .lynxrc/'O'ptions screen, it
> should become obvious that that makes little sense and/or gets too
> complicated to do in a reasonable way.)
>
> # If USE_ENV_FOR_LOCALE is set to either TRUE or OVERRIDE, lynx processes
> # several environment variables on startup to determine default values
> # for several options that typically depend on the user's language and
> # character set environment (locale).  Affected options, listed together
> # with the environment variables in order of priority:
> #   CHARACTER_SET          MM_CHARSET, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LANG
> #   PREFERRED_CHARSET      MM_CHARSET, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LANG
> #   ASSUME_LOCAL_CHARSET   LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LANG
> #   PREFERRED_LANGUAGE     LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LANG
> # Note that this mechanism doesn't depend on locale support by the OS or
> # libraries; lynx only looks at the values for those variables as strings
> # and uses heuristics for finding the charset and language that corresponds
> # to a given locale name.  For display character set aspects, MM_CHARSET
> # (a convention inherited from the metamail program) is preferred and takes
> # precedence since it directly contains a charset in MIME form.

metamail's man sais:

|        MM_CHARSET
|                If  this variable  is  set,  it will suppress the
|                printing of character set declarations  when  mail
|                headers being printed contain text in this charac-
|                ter set. For example, if you  set  MM_CHARSET  to
|                "iso-8859-8",   it  will suppress  warnings  when
|                header output is produced in that character set.

I think this variable should be set to a charset of recieved mail.  I
doubt this sould affect CHARACTER_SET of Lynx, because CHARACTER_SET
should be set to a charset which can be handled by the terminal.

In case of Japanese, we usually encode our mail by JIS (iso-200-jp).
But now Lynx can't display in JIS but only in EUC (euc-jp) and SJIS
(Shift_JIS).

> # Settings for the listed options that can be derived from environment
> # variables override builtin defaults and values in lynx.cfg files.  If
> # USE_ENV_FOR_LOCALE is set to OVERRIDE, they also override corresponding
> # options from the user's .lynxrc file.

Can it override command line option "-assume_local_charset" or not?

> # convention.  In slightly more complicated situations, for example when
> # the terminal display character set differs from the charset used for
> # files (e.g., because the user is remotely logged in in a heterogeneous
> # environment), using individual lynx.cfg and .lynxrc options affords more
> # detailed control; USE_ENV_FOR_LOCALE should be set to FALSE to ignore
> # environment variables in that case.

I think "more complicated situations" are rather general in Japan.

For example, in my home directory, some files are encoded by EUC and
others by SJIS or JIS.  New files which I make are usually encode by
EUC but I also have files which I recieve from someone and get from
other site by ftp and http. They may be encoded by SJIS or JIS.

If LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE or LANG is set to ja*, I want ASSUME_LOCAL_CHARSET
isn't set to euc-jp nor Shift_JIS but set to "iso-8859-1", otherwise
the auto detect routine for Japanese is disabled.

# Or "x-autodetect_jp" may be better, though it's not valid now.
--
Takeshi Hataguchi
E-mail: address@hidden