lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev displaying current page title in xterm window title

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev displaying current page title in xterm window title
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 15:37:48 +0500 (SAMST)

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> > > environment variables are not reliable.  I would make a small utility
> > > which tries to open the display if I wanted to know if I were in an
> > > xterm.
> >
> >   Are they so unreliable ? As for connecting to X server - I think
>
> yes (I can set environment variables without being in xterm).

 Of course it's possible to fool lynx intentionally - but should we consider
such patalogical cases? I think not.

> > that this is unnecessary complexity. I think that every terminal emulator
> > for X sets $WINDOWID, and that this environment variable won't be set under
> > any
>
> I'm not certain (dtterm comes to mind).

 Wow - I just didn't imagine that dtterm is so unique in this respect.

> > other circumstance. Of course the user should be able to turn this feature
> > off or on (since user can telnet to other machine from xterm and will be
> > willing to see page titles in xterm titles). So this needs lynx.cfg setting
> > like  PAGE_TITLE_IN_XTERM_TITLE:TRUE/FALSE/AUTO (true and false are
> > unconditional settings, and auto will check $WINDOWID value)  and
> > commandline
> > option like -use-xterm-title[+-].
>
> maybe (but we have a lot of options such as -use_mouse that just make lynx
> more cumbersome to use)

 Of course I agree that lynx becomes too configurable while new features are
added, but seems this is the only way to keep it IMO.

> --
> Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
> http://dickey.his.com
> ftp://dickey.his.com