lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Proper indention of paragraphs in dynamically generated pag

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Proper indention of paragraphs in dynamically generated pages (the slashdot problem)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 06:42:09 -0400 (EDT)

On which HTML browsers have you seen paragraph indentation?  I don't recall
noticing such a thing occuring.

Are you talking about auto-indenting of something like:

<head>
<title>
Testing indentation
</title>
</head>

This is test one of paragraph indentation.  Will the text in this paragraph
be automatically intented, or will it be flush left?

        This is test two of paragraph indentation.  Does the html browser
ignore the writer's explicit intentation, or does it acknowledge it.

<pre>
        This is test three.  What about paragraphs in pre-formatted
blocks?  Are they left alone?
</pre>

Note that when _I_ read slashdot, using the latest released lynx and
my own build time and run time configure options, I see slashdot discussions
indented:

   '[69]Oxford Yanks Student Page Over Spoof DeCSS' | [70]Login/Create an
   Account | 36 comments | [71]Search Discussion
   Threshold: [72][(3)__1: 28 comments.]
   [73][(2)__Threaded...][74][(1)__Oldest First.................]
   [75]Change [76]Reply
   The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted
   them. Slashdot is not responsible for what they say.
   ( Beta is only a state of mind )
   What a stupid thing to do (Score:1, Insightful)
   by Anonymous Coward on Saturday May 20, @05:51AM EDT ([77]#2)

   Sorry, but given the whole tense legal situation around the DeCSS
   fiasco at the moment, what was he thinking about doing this? Yeah sure
   it wasn't *real*, but anyone who thought about it for half a second
   would have realised that this would cause him trouble, real or not.

   The MPAA were quite right to ask for this page to be removed from
   Oxford's servers. Until the court case in concluded one way or the
   other this kind of publicity stunt detracts from what is going to be a
   serious test case, and web pages like this are childish and in very
   poor taste.

   No for once I am in total agreement with the MPAA. This page should
   have been pulled, and I'm glad it was.
     * [80]American law doesn't apply in the UK by divec (Score:2)
       Saturday May 20, @06:09AM EDT
          + [81]Re:American law doesn't apply in the UK by miracle69
            (Score:1) Saturday May 20, @06:18AM EDT
               o [82]Re:American law doesn't apply in the UK by divec
                 (Score:2) Saturday May 20, @06:25AM EDT
          + [83]Re:American law doesn't apply in the UK by Leto2
            (Score:1) Saturday May 20, @06:20AM EDT
               o [84]Re:American law doesn't apply in the UK by divec
                 (Score:1) Saturday May 20, @06:25AM EDT
          + [85]1 reply beneath your current threshold.
     * [86]What a clever thing to do by IdoR (Score:1) Saturday May 20,
       @06:11AM EDT

and so on...
--
Larry W. Virden <mailto:address@hidden>