lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev strange intl/libintl.h

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev strange intl/libintl.h
Date: Fri, 19 May 100 22:07:48 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi all,
>
> This is not a grave problem but I found that released
> lynx 2.8.3 is a bit peculiar, I think.
>
> At first it is as follows;
>
> nsx: $ ls -l intl/libintl.h intl/libgettext.h
> -rw-rw-r--    1 kohda    kohda        5723 Dec 13  1998 intl/libgettext.h
> -rw-rw-r--    1 kohda    kohda        5723 Feb 15 13:07 intl/libintl.h

those two files should be distinct -  the configure script makes a symbolic
link for libintl.h which can always be removed, but I limited the makefile
to removing it only when NLS is enabled.  yes, I know I should finish
unraveling the configure script to _not_ create the link at all, but chose
to not introduce further changes to that during pre-release.  I have that
and a few other configure script changes in upcoming patches once the
focus gets off 2.8.3rel.x

> Why at first real file libintl.h is changed to link? And if
> this is necessary why libintl.h is real file at first?

it's not a real file (you are seeing an artifact of the gettext library
as packaged).  why the gettext author chose to do it this way, I have
no idea.

> And why libintl.h is commented out from the list of "rm -f"?
>
> I think that "make distclean" should recover the original source
> tree.
>
> In general this might be not the problem but I maintais lynx-ja
> package for Debian JP and it is a problem that originally real
> file changed to link for Debian's Packaging Method.
>
> Thanks in advance,            2000.5.20
>
> --
>  Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
>  Atsuhito Kohda <address@hidden>
>  Department of Math., Tokushima Univ.

Thomas E. Dickey  <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com