lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Tables (once again) and virtual lynx pages

From: pAb-032871
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Tables (once again) and virtual lynx pages
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:05:42 -0700

In "Re: lynx-dev Tables (once again) and virtual lynx pages"
[14/May/2000 Sun 17:08:21]
Henry Nelson wrote:

> > Hmm, with or without tables in mind, here's another possible use for
> > horizontal scrolling: inside some PRE blocks.  With some, the author
>
> Another possibility might be to fetch and render all of the FRAMES
> given in a document, with access to them being possible by just
> scrolling "frame by frame" to the right (the kind of scrolling 'most'
> implements).

RIGHT!  But vertical scrolling can already do that.  Why not
have it write a whole frameset into a single HTML cache-file,
and then render that?  Yes, Lynx would have to ignore the multiple
<HEAD><TITLE><ETC> entries, but it would offer complete access
to a site from one, *semi*-generated index.  Not too different
from the way Email clients dump several messages into one archive
file [Maybe that note about "the despised word `folder' replacing
`directory'" got me started here].

You've seen how those archives are put together: there's practically
no special formatting to separate them except maybe a custom
"X-msg:" header [probably never used unless the ToC file gets
corrupted or something].  With Lynx, it would be a lot simpler
because you actually WANT to read it all as one document.

Resolving relative URLs from three or more separate absolutes
could get tricky, but then again multiple <HEAD>, <TITLE>,
and/or <BODY> tags would let it know something's up [or even
Lynx's own <BASE HREF= and <!-- X-URL --> insertions could
serve as separators. This text file is looking more like a
folder every second ;-) ].

Basically, why try to rewrite Lynx's HTML engine when maybe
you can just borrow a little code from Pine?  [Not sure if
Pine archives messages that way, but you get the idea.]

Yes, yes, I can already read the words slipping off your fingertips,
and you're right: the reason I've been waiting all this time
for someone to do it is because everyone's been waiting for ME
[or someone] to do it.  Well, I am learning, and still busy
dissecting MacLynx if that balances things any.

> Just curious, how would documents that are essentially one long line
> be done?  I see quite a few of such pages without carriage returns,
> especially on sites here in Japan.

Oh yeah, all this started in a PRE block.  Almost forgot about
that :-)

Does Lynx still have trouble wrapping long-lines in plaintext?
Version 2.7.1 had a bad habit of breaking words at the right
margin instead of figuring out where the spaces are.  I've
noticed the incredible speed and improvements, using a current
version in a shell, but haven't caught all the finer points
yet.

I guess with horizontal scrolling, but without limiting virtual
screen width, you could go to a page that's one inch high and
about 20 feet wide. . .

                    Patrick
          <mailto:address@hidden>