lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: Administrivia: List "reply" address

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Administrivia: List "reply" address
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 07:46:17 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, pAb-032871 said:

> Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 06:29:30 -0700
>
> While I like the IDEA of two comma-separated addresses in the "Reply-To:"
> header, it would mean the origial author gets two copies of every reply.
> Could make for a lot of sorting trouble if you leave your keyboard alone
> a few days. . .

Oh, golly, gee!  So, if I set Reply-to: to myself, an alias for myself,
a couple accounts that forward to me, and several lists that I belong
to, I might get so many replies.  What ever should I do?  There's no
practical way to prevent this and still respect the author's intent
with respect to Reply-to.  Any attempt to do so flouts Gwyn's Maxim:

   "Unix was not designed to stop people from doing stupid things,
   because that would also stop them from doing clever things."
                                                      --Doug Gwyn
> What about two headers:

> All that majordomo would need to do is insert;
> " address@hidden
> X-Old-Reply-To:"
> in between "Reply-To:" and " <original address>".  I'm assuming the "X-"
> prefix defines this header as a comment to be ignored.

Why all the complexity?  Why not merely respect the Reply-to: if
supplied by the author?

-- gil
--
StorageTek