lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3 with nmh problems

From: Byrial Jensen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3 with nmh problems
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 08:51:41 +0200

On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 15:55:49 -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Sun, 7 May 2000, Michael Abraham Shulman wrote:
>
> > I think this is it.  /etc/nmh/mhn.defaults tells me that nmh is using
> > metamail, and /etc/mailcap is invoking Lynx like this:
> >
> > text/html; /usr/bin/lynx -force_html '%s'; needsterminal; description=HTML
> > Text; nametemplate=%s.html
> >
> > Which seems like it ought to work, except maybe for the `nametemplate'
> > as I'm not sure what that does.
>
> Seems to be a Debian-specific addition; but anyway, unrecognized fields
> should be just ignored by any program that uses mailcap files.

"nametemplate" isn't Debian-specific at all. RFC 1524 (the
specification for mailcap files) says:

   -- The "nametemplate" field gives a file name format, in which %s
      will be replaced by a short unique string to give the name of the
      temporary file to be passed to the viewing command.  This is only
      expected to be relevant in environments where filename extensions
      are meaningful, e.g., one coulld specify that a GIF file being
      passed to a gif viewer should have a name eding in ".gif" by using
      "nametemplate=%s.gif".

Mailcap entries for lynx will need the nametemplate field if they
don't use the -force_html option.

--
Byrial
http://www.image.dk/~byrial/