lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3 with nmh problems

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3 with nmh problems
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 15:00:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 6 May 2000, Michael Abraham Shulman wrote:

> I just upgraded to Lynx 2.8.3, and now when I try to view an email
> that has an HTML part with `mhshow', I get the following error:
>
> ---Executing: lynx
> Lynx: Can't open temporary file!
> Command failed:  /usr/bin/lynx -force_html '/tmp/mm.6RGWa9'
> exit 255
>
> I don't think this is an nmh problem, because if the file weren't
> there, lynx would say "can't access start document" or something like
> that, right?  What is it that causes Lynx to say "Can't open temporary
> file!", and any ideas about what I can do to fix it?  I'm running
> Debian 2.2, nmh 1.0.4, lynx 2.8.3rel.1. Thanks!

- Could be a quoting problem.  The single quotes shown above may actually
  be part of the parameter, because somehow the filename got quoted twice.

  Try to find the mh configuration files(s) that tell mhshow to use lynx.
  See what they do about quoting.  If mhshow used metamail, repeat for
  metamail's configuration.

- Add -trace flag to lynx invocation.  Check generated Lynx.trace file
  to see what lynx gets passed, look especially for "STARTFILE"
  and "Converted".  Compare to a Lynx.trace file from calling lynx
  manually on a similar file.

- But, actually, it's more likely that "Lynx: Can't open temporary file!"
  doesn't refer to '/tmp/mm.6RGWa9' but to some other temp file lynx is
  trying to generate.  Again, comparing Lynx.trace files should give more
  clues about the problem.

   Klaus