lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Bugs in lates lynx release

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Bugs in lates lynx release
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 18:09:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Bob Izenberg wrote:

> [ Forwarded message from un-subscribed address
>   address@hidden ]
>
> Dear Lynxers,
>
> I'd like to pay your attention at a bug I found with the
> experimental
> RULE feature in the latest lynx2.8.3rel.1 (23 Apr 2000).
>
> If the URL1 rule pattern in lynx.cfg contains a backslash
> (\), it is
> lost. E.g. a target URL
>

> http://IP.address.behind.firewall/asap\webasap.nsf/pending2/PEEYFC3A0F
>
> that matches the rule "UseProxy http://IP.*
> http://proxy.server:port/";
> is passed to the HTTP request engine without "\" between "p"
> and "w".
> This results in HTTP status 404 - "Link does not exist."

I am not sure what you are doing - what exactly is the rule line you are
using?  Also, is it in lynx.cfg or in a separate RULESFILE?

In the rule as you gave it:
  UseProxy http://IP.* http://proxy.server:port/
the backslash character doesn't appear.

> Escaping "\" with another "\" resolves this, i.e.
>

> http://IP.address.within.firewall/asap\\webasap.nsf/pending2/PEEYFC3A0F
>
> works OK.

*Where* do you enter this URL?  In a RULE (apparently not, according
to what you have written), on the lynx command line, at a 'g'oto
prompt?  How do you know this has anything to do with the rules
mechanism?  (The simplest explanation would be that you have forgotten
to quote the backslash for your shell, in a command line.)

In some situations, backslashes may have to be doubled in rules,
I agree this should be documented.  (Only within quoted values?
I haven't checked.)  But it doesn't seem that that's what you mean.

> An unrelated issue: I'd like lynx to respect the
> "copiousoutput"
> attribute in MIME mailcap files. Sometimes I have to deal
> with come
> wicked mime content types. If it is a mail attachment, I
> feed it into a
> view command defined in file $HOME/.mailcap, and then browse
> the stdout
> with usual PgUp/PgDn keys. Unfortunately, while accessing a
> web page in
> lynx, the same mailcap view command results in rapid rolling
> of all its
> stdout, and nothing is captured.

Yes, lynx's use of mailcap entries has various shortcomings;
there are more serious ones than this.

Your best bet is to take things into your own hand, and configure
the paging you want explicitly, rather than waiting for lynx to
implement it.

Instead of just
  application/x-wicked-type; myviewer %s; copiousoutput
you could use
  application/x-wicked-type; myviewer %s; test=test -z "$LYNX_VERSION";
copiousoutput
  application/x-wicked-type; myviewer %s |less; test=test -n "$LYNX_VERSION"

> Please cc: me directly when replying. I used to be
> subscribed to lynx-dev
> but had to unsubscribe due to large mail traffic.

Done so, but please check the archives for other followups.

   Klaus