lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Connecting to... + press any arror key -> CPU problem

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Connecting to... + press any arror key -> CPU problem
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:39:03 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Frederic L . W . Meunier wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 09:38:43AM -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
> |
> | Try either of the following (both untested), I'd expect the CPU
> | consumption to go down drastically:
> |
> | a) in LYUtils.c, in function
> |        PRIVATE int DontCheck NOARGS
> | insert a line
> |            return FALSE;
> | before
> |        #if HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY
>
> Just installed pre7 with this change. Works like a charm. My
> CPU thank you. I didn't heard any sound from it, and the
> box is opened.
>
> | b) in HTTCP.c, in function
> |        PUBLIC struct hostent * LYGetHostByName ARGS1
> |    remove or comment out these lines:
> |                 if (kbd_fd != INVSOC) {
> |                     FD_SET(kbd_fd, &readfds);
> |                 }
>
> Didn't tried with this. Should I?

Well, if change b) has the same effect as change a), that would be
more confirmation that my understanding of the "problem" is right.
Change b) affects only the NSL_FORK code, so it retains the benefits
of the "Avoid checking interrupts" code (whatever they are - I am
not really convinced that checking for keyboard input is such a "slow
and expensive operation" that it nees to be rationed.

With change b), expect lynx to react less immediately to 'z' when
it's waiting for a nameserver response.

You'd have to only recompile the two files in question, not everything.

   Klaus