lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev DTDs

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev DTDs
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:21:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Natasha Live wrote:

> Question:
> Has anyone put togethor a list of what is fully supported by lynx (html wise),
> or a list of what isn't.
>
> We all know that TABLE isn't fully supported, plus SCRIPT (and similar).
>
> But are all the "basic" elements supported?

Define "supported".

In one meaning - the most relevant, IMO - every element is automatically
supported, even if lynx doesn't explicitly know about it, that has been
designed with graceful fallback (by the usual means, mainly: ignoring
unknown tags) in mind.

So, would you call <FONT FACE="verdana, ..."> "supported"?  (Not that
that's a good HTML 4 example...)  Would you call <I> or <B> "supported"?
And so on.

> On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 09:10:49PM -0400, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> > By "compatible with HTML 4" I mean able to display HtML 4.01 and/or XHTML
> > 1.0
> > code without pain.

So, which elements have been added by HTML 4.01 and/or XHTML 1.0, in
comparison  to ... <pick a reference HTML specification or, more relevant,
existing usage at a certain point in time>, that would be problematic?

    Klaus