lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev reordered Options

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev reordered Options
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 10:43:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Philip Webb wrote:
> 000403 Klaus Weide wrote:
> > "General Preferences" should mean "General and Important Preferences"
> > or "Preferences of General Importance", though that seems a bit too verbose,
> > so it's just implied.
>
> well, if we're going to get it right, let's get it right!
> how about `Principal Preferences', `Main Preferences' or `Common Choices'?

They all have something going for them, but - so far - all things
considered, including the ugliness factor and "least surprise" - I'd still
go with "General Preferences".  Unless something really better comes up.

> you also asked re capitalisation, which may be a problem coming from German,

Yes, English is such an unsystematic language. :)
Capitalizing words in headings that would otherwise not be capitalized
is a strange concept if you grew up with different rules.

> which capitalises by part of speech to a large extent.
> the modern trend in journalism is to capitalise as little as possible
> -- which i find very irritating -- , whereas back in the 1700s
> any important-seeming word might get a capital.
> here, i'ld recommend (subject to the usual argy-bargy) capitalising
> All Important Words in Each Line of Heading,
> but only the First word in each list-item name,
> which seems to be the existing approach.

Thanks for the info.

    Klaus