lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: messages

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: messages
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 22:44:37 +0900 (JST)

> *)  The proper way to suggest changes to Lynx code is to submit
> patches.  Saying it's bad doesn't fix it.

Submitting patches isn't always the answer either.  Getting people to
agree and make compromises is more difficult than working up a patch.

> *)  None of your complaints have been voiced by the more than
> half-dozen language contributors.  Do you have a langauge other than

That's not true.  I complained very loudly about the redundancies and
inconsistencies.  I even tried to simplify the P)rint page as a start,
but any momentum I had was completely knocked out of me.  I still have
problems swallowing the "y/n", "." and .lynxrc handling.  Seems with
each new update I loose another translated string to some obscure change
in the msgid.  I for one believe the man has some legitimate complaints.
Of course I also hope he has the energy to fight for what he thinks is
right and will get some changes made.  Most translators would agree, IMO.

The only recommendation I could make for the following and similar:
        msgid "Out of memory reading jump file!"
        msgid "Out of memory reading jump table!"
        msgid "Memory exhausted!  Aborting..."
        msgid "Memory exhausted!  Program aborted!"
is to not bother to translate them.  It's obvious.  I pity anyone who
took the trouble to make a msgstr for each of those.

__Henry