lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx with lss, and reloading options

From: brian j pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx with lss, and reloading options
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 23:43:45 -0500

On Sun, Dec 19, 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> 18-Dec-99 11:42 Klaus Weide wrote:

> >> These two alert the user, so no problem until we decide something better.
>
> > No - a change in 'persistent_cookies' does alert, but a change in the
> > LYCookieFile or the (new) LYCookieSaveFile doesn't, there is only the
> > CTRACE.
> we could replace CTRACE with HTAlert, but see below.
> > (Not tested, but this seems obvious from reload_read_cfg() code.)
>
> > I don't remember the exact logic for disabling LYCookieFile changes.
> > Does it still apply, now that there is LYCookieSaveFile?  Does it
> > apply even more?  Does it apply to LYCookieSaveFile?
>
> The following question should be answered first:
> what to do on reloading if we change LYCookieFile?
>
>         1) do nothing (till the next session)
>         2) replace LYCookieSaveFile path if it was changed so we
>            save cookies to the new file on exit
>         3) replace LYCookieFile path if it was changed and:
>                 3a) save cookies to the old file
>                 3b) load cookies from the new file
>                 3c) clear cookie jar and load cookies from the new
>                 3d) save cookies to the new file on exit if no
>                       LYCookieSaveFile set
>

> Perhaps we should do 2), 3b) and 3d).     [currently do 1)]

New cookies that come in (if 3b is done) from the new file will
overwrite pre-existing ones in memory with the same name/domain/path
elements, and because the only reason coming to my mind to use
alternate cookie files is to use different accounts on web services,
I don't think 3c) would be necessary.  3a) could use discussion
though.

> Another question what to do when we switch persistent_cookies?
>  - from FALSE to TRUE - seems no problem (load the cookie file now)
>  - from TRUE to FALSE - save cookies now/on exit/never ?

IMHO:

FALSE to TRUE - load the file, set LYCookieSaveFile = LYCookieFile if
it is not set already

TRUE to FALSE - save current cookies to LYCookieSaveFile immediately,
then cycle through memory and delete persistent cookies we got from
the old file.  Do we still have COOKIE_FLAG_FROM_FILE as an attribute?

These aren't particularly strong preferences -- I hardly ever change
anything during a session.  Lynx behavior there is nearly irrelevant
to me.

I do think that just on usability grounds, not doing anything until
the next session is a little hairy.

--
We have lingered long enough on the shores of the Cosmic Ocean.
                -- Carl Sagan