lynx-dev

Re: [OT?] Charging for source [was: Re: lynx-dev Lynxon Win32 - wireless

From: brian j pardy
Subject: Re: [OT?] Charging for source [was: Re: lynx-dev Lynxon Win32 - wireless version]
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 15:39:34 -0500

On Sat, Dec 18, 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, brian j pardy wrote:

> > > In which sense do you mean "He can"?
> > >
> > > 1) he is allowed to
> > >
> > > If 1), I don't think there is anything to forbid charging for the source
> > > "based on the value of the source itself".  Whatever that [value of the
> > > source itself] means.  If you disagree, please show where it's written.
> >
> > 3b) of the GPL:
> >
> >   3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
> > under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
> > Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:
> >
> >     [...]
> >
> >     b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
> >     years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
> >     cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
> >     machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
> >     distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
> >     customarily used for software interchange; or,
>
> Here, it is IMO clear that the hypothetical charge is not a
> "charge for the source" at all.  The expression used is "give [...]
> copy of the [...] source [...] for a charge".  It seems obvious that
> the charge is one for the "giving", i.e., for the act of physically
> transferring.  In my understanding of English, this could not be
> correctly described as "charging for source".  Is my understanding
> wrong?

No, that's the correct understanding AFAIK.

> > IANAL.  As far as I've ever understood it -- from the following
> > paragraph:
> >
> >   When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not
> >   price.  Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that
> >   you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and
> >   charge for this service if you wish), that you receive source code
> >   or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or
> >   use pieces of it in new free programs; and that you know you can do
> >   these things.
> >
> > I think that says you can sell copies of free software (not sure if
> > he's deliberately being vague on source/binary, but let's call it
> > both) if you want, and at any charge.
>
> Since it is unspecific regarding source or binary, it has got to apply
> to both.

Not sure if that's the legal system's view, but it's good enough for
me.

> > *But*, in conjunction with 3b
> > above, if you're selling the binary, you can't charge an additional
> > amount for the source, other than a nominal fee for the physical
> > transference.  That's how I've always parsed it internally.
>
> The "you can't charge..." applies only to *that* source distribution
> which the *written offer* of 3b) is offering.  It doesn't apply at all
> to someone whose obligations under Section 3 are fulfilled by 3a) or 3c).
> Even if your choice for fulfilling Section 3 obligations is 3b), I don't
> see thats it's forbidden to have other source distributions in addition,
> with or without charge, high or low (the gold-plated special edition for
> $10000, etc).

If your obligations are fulfilled through 3a), it must be distributed
under the terms of sections 1 and 2 -- I think the key phrase is in
section 1: "You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring
a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in
exchange for a fee."  Again is the physical transfer clause, but the
"warranty protection in exchange for a fee" may be the giant loophole
that says you can charge whatever you would like.  However, I don't
think you can withhold source in the event someone doesn't want to pay
the warranty fee.  Warranty might be analogous to support, as Red Hat
does.

So, I take it back, after seeing that clause.  I don't disagree with
you.  I can sell you the Lynx source for US$10000 and say I'll provide
one 5 minute phone support session for that price.  But I don't think
I can NOT distribute the source to those who don't want to pay.

> Nitpicking?
> Yes.  But these licensing topics necessarily are, aren't they?

Yes, they most definitely are.

--
One monk said to the other, "The fish has flopped out of the net! How
will it live?"  The other said, "When you have gotten out of the net,