lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.17

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.17
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 15:52:03 -0800

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 02:06:43PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> <snip>
> I also am very much opposed to allowing the Visited Page posting (writing
> to disk) privileges.
>
> __Henry

NO NO NO!!!.  Please DO allow writing the Visited Page to disk!

---

In fact, let me write WHATEVER SCREEN LYNX HAS to disk!

No one but the USER knows WHY he/she would want to
keep that "documentation of what I did in this run of lynx"
for future reference, for sending to friends, for egrepping,
for tossing into the garbage-can (real) simply for the purpose
of using up paper and cutting down more trees -- WE HERE have
no business restricting the user!

Let's keep "restricting the user" to the "commercial" browsers;
lynx started out (I think) as a unix tool, or at least under
the unix philosophy of producing tools that let the user
do whatever he/she WANTS to do.

For any decent software, the uses to what clever users will
put it will always be far outside the thinking of the developers!

POWER TO THE USER!

---

My opinion: let ANY lynx-page be written to disk!

David