lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx and Virtual Hosts

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx and Virtual Hosts
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 09:46:47 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Peter Castine wrote:

> It appears the Lynxes at my immediate disposal are:
>
> >Lynx Version 2-4-2
> >(c)1995 University of Kansas
>
> and
>
> >Lynx Version 2.2
> >(c)1994 University of Kansas
>
> These are obviously old, but updating decisions are made by others on the
> relevant machines.

Those ancient versions will have LOTS of other problems in today's WWW.

> This will also be a problem for people trying to visit
> my site (that they will be dependent upon sysadmins who may have
> priorities other than updating Lynx). At least it's nice to have
> confirmation that this a problem with older versions, and not just me
> being incompetent.

Relevant change for the "Virtual Hosts" problem:

04-25-96
* Added code to send Host: headers as described in the 23-Apr-96 HTTP/1.1
  draft. - FM

That's a few days before
--- Rename of Lynx2-4-FM and release as Lynx2-5  (02-May-1996) ---

Actually, there should not be a problem with virtual hosts even for the
ancient Lynx versions, as long as those virtual hosts are IP-based.

Your original question was:
> Q: Are there any known issues surrounding Lynx and Virtual Hosts (as
> implemented by Apache)?

And another answer is:  See the Apache documentation.  Especially
<http://www.apache.org/docs/vhosts/index.html>.  You'll find a
section titled "Compatibility with Older Browsers" there.

Well whoever hosts http://www.icmc2000.org/ has an old version of
Apache (Apache/1.1.1), and has that misconfigured (I don't think
it's intended to return "/error.html" as the only content of a text/html
error message).  So good luck.

   Klaus