lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8rel.2 (1998); printing to email with X-URL: page in

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8rel.2 (1998); printing to email with X-URL: page info
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 18:24:49 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, R W Jones wrote:
> I had access to an old (4*) version of Lynx ona UK BBS until a few months
> ago when it was closed.  I now have a dialup BSD dial up shell account
> which runs Lynx 2.8rel.2, and I have been trying to get it to print by
> mailing to self in the usual way which includes the X-URL:[url of the
> page saved], but have not made much pgress despite lengthy searches on the
> web and asking the sysop.  I have found the following pointers but haven't
> discovered what changes to lynx.cfg or own lynx.cfg in user home directory
> gets me to where I want:

Are you sure that lynx is using the right lynx.cfg?
If not, set LYNX_CFG environment variable or start with `lynx -cfg=...'.

> "With Lynx, if you browse some Web-page and then
> choose "Print" you are then to choose one of the options:
> 1. Save the file to your current directory
> 2. send the file to the print spool
> 3. mail the file (default e-mail address is yours).
>
> If you choose the third option, then the "X-URL:" is added.
> In this case "X-URL:" is equivalent to "Content-Location:". "

What are you quoting from?  I do not recognize this text...

> In my case, selecting #3 does not include the X-URL now, with old Lynx t
> did.  SO I looked further:
>
> " the DOWNLOAD command is used, the only change will be that Lynx
>    optionally puts

>      <BASE href="http://www.site.foo/path/to/file.html";>
>
>    at the start of the file so that relative URLs in the document will
>    still work. Even this modification can be prevented by setting
>    PREPEND_BASE_TO_SOURCE:FALSE in lynx.cfg.  "
>
> (See e.g.
> www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/latest-release/lynx_help/Lynx_users_guide.html
> )
>
> I changed the line quoted to TRUE but it still does not work.

... and removed the '#'?
The default should already be TRUE, afaik.

> Woudl be grateful for any pointers on how to get the mailed save to
> include the X-URL info.  rgds

It seems to work for me, with recent development code.  I don't know
whether there was something wrong in this respect with version 2.8
(don't have a 2.8 to test).

I still don't understand what exactly you mean, though.

Do you mean the

With "it still does not work", do you mean the
does not get inserted even if you use 'D'ownload (not 'P'rint then
"Mail the file")?

Do you realize that
is only supposed to be inserted when mailing the *source*, i.e. when
using 'P'rint after a '\' command?  (X-URL: should still be generated,
but only as a *mail header*, when sending non-source as mail.)

   Klaus