lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev (patch) userdefs.h & lynxcfg:

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev (patch) userdefs.h & lynxcfg:
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 06:58:06 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> In INSTALLATION, the relevant clause is:
>     this file, and the changes should be straight forward.  If you compile
>     using autoconfigure, you can set most defines with option switches and do
>     not absolutely have to edit userdefs.h.  Many of the variables are now
> It took a long time to get that far.  Maybe it's time to go to the next step?

The next step == from "you do not absolutely have to edit userdefs.h" to
"you should not edit userdefs.h"?   Can someone remind me why this is
regarded as progress?

The last time I used configure to configure Lynx, this is what it looked
like:
 ./configure --enable-warnings --with-screen=ncurses --enable-externs
--enable-font-switch --enable-cgi-links --enable-internal-links
--enable-nsl-fork --enable-gzip-help --with-zlib
--enable-persistent-cookies --enable-alt-bindings --enable-kbd-layout
--enable-exec-links --enable-nls --without-included-gettext
--enable-default-colors --enable-addrlist-page --enable-prettysrc
--enable-source-cache --enable-debug --enable-charset-choice
--enable-file-upload --enable-justify-elts --enable-read-eta
--enable-scrollbar --enable-change-exec

Can someone remind me why putting everything on one command line
(which doesn't work for all platforms anyway) is supposed to be better
than editing the file userdefs.h?

> Perhaps a warning that if you mess with userdefs.h, you'd better be prepared
> for the consequences?

I wouldn't call using userdefs.h for the purpose it was intended for, i.e.
defining system-specific things, as "messing with".  Maybe that's my English...

But the "consequences" that one ought to be prepared for when changing a
configuration file, are obviously that the selected configuration gets
honored.  Or what else?

   Klaus