lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev (patch) userdefs.h & lynxcfg:

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev (patch) userdefs.h & lynxcfg:
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:34:03 +0900 (JST)

> how do you tell Lynx where to find  lynx.cfg  with a configure --switch ?
> how do you tell Lynx to number form fields with a configure --switch ?

I'm not sure either of these is best set by a configure option, anymore
than by editing userdefs.h.  For lynx.cfg, my recommendation would be to
use an environment variable or a command-line switch.  For the keypad mode,
i.e., number form fields, I would recommend .lynxrc, the settings from the
O)ption Menu.

> NO, i don't want to have to remember to use run-time flags
> or change options whenever i re-start Lynx (for numbered fields);

Use an environment variable or define an alias.  Save the options to
your .lynxrc file.

> anyway, if we adopt what you say as policy,
                                      ^^^^^^
I'd prefer it remain a recommendation.  Nothing so strong as a policy
is needed in this case, IMO.

> we should say so in BIG LETTERS at the top of  userdefs.h ,
> not to mention some appropriate place in INSTALLATION.

In INSTALLATION, the relevant clause is:
    this file, and the changes should be straight forward.  If you compile
    using autoconfigure, you can set most defines with option switches and do
    not absolutely have to edit userdefs.h.  Many of the variables are now
It took a long time to get that far.  Maybe it's time to go to the next step?

Perhaps a warning that if you mess with userdefs.h, you'd better be prepared
for the consequences?

__Henry