lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev internationalizing menu options

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev internationalizing menu options
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 07:14:13 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, T.E.Dickey wrote:

> > Note that the present handling of Y/N already introduces a bug which has
> > not been addressed by changes in the code.  Be careful how you translate
> > that.
>
> do we now have an example where gettext("yes") and gettext("no") begin with
> the same character?  (if so, then it's worth looking into).

Even if that's never the case, gettext("yes") might start with the same
letter as "no".

I don't know of such a case, but something that may come confusingly
close: The Greek word for "Yes" (when capitalized) starts with
    U+039D  #       GREEK CAPITAL LETTER NU
which *looks* just like a capital N.

Anyway, I hope the patch that's already in dev.14 takes care of the
problems - if only by encouraging translators to omit translation of
"yes" and "no" if there are foreseeable problems.

   Klaus