lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: Getting Rid of "[LINK]"s for No-ALT Image Links?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Getting Rid of "[LINK]"s for No-ALT Image Links?
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 07:02:24 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Mike Harris wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Oct 1999 16:53:39, Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> -> there needs to be *something* or the anchor will be "hidden" (not
> -> selectable).  And we don't want links to disappear just because the
> -> author didn't care about adding an ALT attribute.
>
> I understand the rationale behind this, but is there any extant option on
> Lynx that lets the user decide this?

As I said, no.  (unless it's some hidden feature I haven't discovered
myself.. but I doubt it.)

> A lot of Websites nowadays have a
> graphic that acts as a link right next to the text anchor.

Some have, although just looking around briefly, I could (to my surprise)
not find an obvious example.  I don't think it's really worth the trouble
adding another configuration option; it's already confusing enough IMO,
what with '[', '*', verbose images.

> -> But are you asking as a user or as an author?
>
> As a user.  As an author, I actually use ALT tags with an eye towards how
> something looks in Lynx, something that way too few Web authors do
> nowadays.  Unfortunately, a lot of Website authors out there are way too
> sloppy when it comes to how their sites look in Lynx, including,
> unfortunately, the recent redesign of the Internet Movie Database. :(

Well it still looks usable... I haven't looked beyond the first page
though, and am not a regualr visitor.

   Klaus