lynx-dev

lynx-dev Suggestion for merging the libcurses and libslang code

From: vtailor
Subject: lynx-dev Suggestion for merging the libcurses and libslang code
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 11:44:51 -0600 (CST)

Now that there is a concerted effort to make pdcurses work for lynx, it
might be appropriate look into eliminating explicit calls on libslang
entirely from the lynx code.

I say this because libslang has an slcurses interface, in which a subset
of curses functions are simulated by slang calls within the library.  The
Linux version of libslang is automatically an slcurses library, and there
is an include file, slcurses.h, that sets up the correspondences.
Although Davis doesn't encourage this, I have compiled the Windows version
of libslang with the slcurses.c functions included.

When Davis was posting to this news group, he pointed out that slcurses
may not have the complete curses functionality wanted in lynx. But, I find
it difficult to believe that libpdcurses, which compiles to 50 KB on my
machine, could really have that much more functionality than libslang that
compiles to 400 KB.

One problem that may need looking at if this direction is followed is that
libslang/libslcurses is designed to work best with a Linux terminal, and
some versions of Davis's slrn will give error messages if TERM=vt100 is
used instead of TERM=Linux.
(