lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev COL/COLGROUP (was Re: more TRST support...)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev COL/COLGROUP (was Re: more TRST support...)
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 15:11:29 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> 26-Oct-99 21:04 Klaus Weide wrote:
> > * adds alignment inheritance from COLGROUP / COL / THEAD / TFOOT / TBODY.
>

> With dev14 alignment inheritance from COLGROUP/COL is not complete:
>
> COLGROUP have an attribute 'span' with a numeric value

Yes

> and COL have an attribute 'repeat' with another numeric value

No, not in HTML 4.  What table specification are you using?

COL has an attribute 'span' in HTML 4.

> of the similar functionality as above - both are ignored currently.

The COLGROUP's 'span' is ignored when it should, according to HTML 4:
See <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/tables.html#edef-COLGROUP>:

   span = [242]number [243][CN]
          This attribute, which must be an integer > 0, specifies the number of
columns in a
          column group. Values mean the following:
          [...]
          User agents must ignore this attribute if the [248]COLGROUP element
contains one or
          more [249]COL elements.

> Without span/repeat attributes the default value assumed to 1
> according to HTML4.0 spec (and this is the ONLY available behaviour
> now in lynx).

I believe so far that it is working as it should.  That is, according
to HTML 4.  If some table spec says something different, maybe RFC XXXX? -
well I didn't look at it.

But I didn't compile the dev.14 yet - did something get lost?

   Klaus