lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Referer with query, ...

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Referer with query, ...
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 15:20:06 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Mike Castle wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 10:27:04AM -0600, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > * Don't send Referer if we have to load a document again that we got
> >   from the history stack.  Lynx would send the URL of the current
> >   document (the one "later" in history) which could only accidentally
> >   be right.
>
> Should whatever was used as Referer be saved with a doc?  And if that doc
> is refeteched from that server, whatever was used for the Referer
> previously is used again the subsequent times?

Possibly.  I have thought of ways for doing that.

Note the paradox, at least in the way you have formulated it.  The
situation arises exactly when we don't have the doc any more.  So
naively storing the Referer "with the doc" would be useless.

But I'm not even sure it would be right.  After all, when the document
is refetched, *that* instance of the request is not directly the
result of following a link.

> Then, if that is saved, perhaps a way to edit that?  ;->

You have the source, you can hack lynx for whatever strange effects you
want to achieve...

   Klaus