lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev special characters

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev special characters
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 13:04:06 +0300 (MSK)

31-Oct-99 22:51 Adalbert Goertz wrote:
> hi:

> re: Foreign characters in LYNX.

> Can someone direct me to the conversion table that are used
> in translating special characters like German umlaute etc.
> to their LYNX equivalents?
> What is the reasoning of defining LYNX equivalents?
> If I had the choice, I would define for German umlaute
> A" to [
> O" to \
> U" to ]
> a" to {
> o" to |
> u" to }
> The reasoning for this is thus:
> I can easily find and replace these 6 symbols into umlaut symbols
> on my Apple computer.

1) I see no reason why you are not using a proper display/keyboard codepage
which will support German umlauts directly (such as iso-8859-1 or so,
set "display character set" in lynx O)ptions menu according your fonts
installed.

2) "LYNX equivalents" introduced for characters which are not available
in your current display font, to make them more-or-less readable by human.
The conversion tables mostly in src/chrtrans/def7_uni.tbl file of the lynx
source tree, see other files in that directory also.

3) There was an idea to have a "relaxed" search rules in lynx
so differently accented letters will be matched by their 7bit "equivalents"
for those who have no proper keyboard installed.
This code in src/LYStrings.c near the bottom (search for UPPER8 function)
and currently disabled with #ifdef NOTUSED symbol because of no user requests
in this area by now.