lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev ^L in popup corrupts screen (w/ ncurses)

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev ^L in popup corrupts screen (w/ ncurses)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 14:01:30 +0900 (JST)

> not the background color erase behavior, sorry (slang makes assumptions
> about the terminal behavior that simply aren't true).

I would like a concrete example.  It is no trick for me to point slang
and ncurses to the exact same terminfo description.  I've have seen
slang "compensate" for _missing_ information, but I don't know of a
situation where it overrides some capability I have specifically entered
into a terminal description.  I see nothing wrong with a program making
assumptions when the necessary information is not available.  However,
if slang is not just making assumptions about missing information, but
actually overriding directives, then I will agree a problem exists with
the library.

> -- all you're telling me is that you're propping slang up to get some usable
                                          ^^^^^^^^       ^^
I am not propping any curses implementation up.  I am attempting to write
a "correct" description of the terminal emulation's capabilities (Perhaps I
need to mention that I use the Japanese version set to receive/transmit EUC,
occasionally SJIS, and I set "full-color" [=16 colors] on.  I set devt with
setterm (setterm -x EUC) so it probably does not enter into the discussion.)
I have one unique terminfo file named "ttypro"; I do not write or use one
terminal description for ncurses and another for slang.

>    display, but your previous postings on the topic still had some places
>    where you are puzzled about things that didn't quite work.

There were no previous postings _on the topic_.  The previous glitch found
in relation to slang had to do with key-input, not display, and the reason
I was "puzzled about things that didn't quite work" had to do with my
misunderstanding of the program "screen."  When I do not run "screen," I
know of no existing problem I have with slang, or ncurses for that matter.

__Henry