lynx-dev

lynx-dev ./configure and variables/macros (was: Does --enable-debug work

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev ./configure and variables/macros (was: Does --enable-debug work?)
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 11:15:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 29, 1999, Klaus Weide (address@hidden) said:
> |
> | It seems --enable-debug does not pass on "-g", i.e. it has no
> | effect.  At least sometimes.  I haven't looked systematically,
> | but suspect that it depends on whether/which of CFLAGS and
> | CPPFLAGS are set before configure is invoked.
>
> Heh.  And here I thought that was just me misunderstanding the
> purpose of that flag.
>
> In my debug-build-script, I've been setting CFLAGS to -g in the
> environment for some time now.
>
> IIRC, I also *had* to run ./configure using --enable-debug, else
> the -g from CFLAGS would get lost/unused/removed.
>
> Or something like that ...

Yeah, it's the "or something like that" aspect of setting CFLAGS,
CPPFLAGS that I dislike.  ./configure is a black box whose inner
workings I don't know (I could find out, with a lot of work) -
I put something in and get something out but don't know how
exactly they relate.

For any flags I want to set for a lynx compilation, other than
-I and -L and -l, I now don't set them in C*FLAGS before configure,
but specify them at make time instead:

   TMPDIR=/var/tmp make SITE_DEFS="-DOK_INSTALL -DMISC_EXP" \
                        SITE_LYDEFS="-DOVERLAP"

Those always get passed down to the sub-makes as I want it (SITE_DEFS
to the ones in src and src/chrtrans, SITE_LYDEFS to the ones under
WWW/).

   Klaus