lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev "error uncompressing temp file" (2.7.2) (was: [ no subject

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev "error uncompressing temp file" (2.7.2) (was: [ no subject at all ])
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 06:38:25 -0700

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 08:11:36AM +0100, David Woolley wrote:
> > I am using Aztecs Lynx version 2.7.2.
>
> > ALERT! ERROR UNCOMPRESSING TEMP FILE
> > I cannont check my Yahoo mail! what should I do
>
> Upgrade to a current version of Lynx and make sure that [un]compress and
> g[un]zip are where it expects to find them.

For those of us on "shell" accounts, and where gzip, etc
are often NOT where lynx might "expect" to find them,
and where we do NOT have privilege to set up symlinks
in system dirs, and we have often ALIASED eg gzip to
where it really is (often in some good person's private,
paid-for personally, disk area) -- what do we do?

(1) lynx could run a subshell of the SAME type IT was
run in (eg csh), so it gets all the aliases, and
then somehow issues cmds into that subshell.

(2) lynx could have an alias facility of its own,
where we insert the same or similar-syntax alias
into the .lynxrc or whatever.

(3) easier for the user (in updating aliases), a
.lynxaliases file.

---

and perhaps someone could write little scripts
"csh2lynxalias", "ksh2lynxalias", etc.

---

Why would a sheller use aliases instead of PATH?

Because so many programs are located in individual
user's accounts -- kermit here, (newest) lynx there,
(newest) trn yet elsewhere, etc etc.

David