lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev invalid form code

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev invalid form code
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 23:19:18 +0100 (BST)

>     At one web site, I was trying to enter the data in the form.  I then
> clicked 'submit' button, i got back 'invalid form code'.  I was puzzled
> cuz it works fine in IE or Netscape.  Is this Lynx bug or what?  or Do
> anyone know a way to work around it?

You need to provide an example we can try.  However that error message
appears nowhere in version 2.7.2, and IE and Netscape are tolerant of
some invalid HTML which confuses Lynx.  Where Lynx is weak is that
it doesn't fully understand multipart/form-data and it doesn't understand
Javascript or VBScript at all - these are not bugs, they are omissions of
optional functions.

Most web pages are invalid HTML (try http://validator.w3.org/ on a few).
Most pages are written to work with IE and/or NS with various insecure
features (MS has only just issed the patch to IE5 which removes their
advice to disable scripting!) turned on.

You are welcome to complete the multipart/form-data support.  You may
find adding Javascript properly more work than you are prepared to take
on.