lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: -post_data

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: -post_data
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 08:08:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Webmaster Jim wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 04:49:02AM -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
> >
> >  echo 'number=6552' | lynx -post_data ...
>
> Perhaps, but having parameters on physical lines is easier to read (for
> me at least), and for cutting and pasting. I've also used this method
> for making the input shorter:
>
> echo "uid=${uid}\
> &pwd=${pwd}\
> &sid=${sid}\
> &---" | lynx -post_data http://blender/~oracle/cgi-bin/insert-record.cgi
  ^
That makes the last line moe than "'---' on a line".  Does it really work?
Maybe just because the server is forgiving and doesn't mind an extra
"&---".

> Also, this follows the help usage:
>
>     -post_data       user data for post forms, read from stdin,
>                      terminated by '---' on a line

It should work, but should only really be needed if stdin is connected
to a tty (or the equivalent on non-Unix systems), and then only if
there is no equivalent of '^D'.

   Klasu